Friday, April 08, 2011

Blog News 4/9/11



With the upcoming final parts of Todd Haynes' TV miniseries adaptation of Mildred Pierce coming this Sunday, the third part of the Auteurs series about Haynes will finally arrive this coming week following the release my full review of Mildred Pierce.  The fourth director to be profiled for the Auteurs will be Gus Van Sant in anticipation for the release of Restless which is due in the fall.  Yet, I plan to profile Van Sant and his work this coming summer.  For my fifth profile on the Auteurs, I'm leaning towards Whit Stillman as he will coming out with a new film sometime in 2011.  Even as it will present a challenge as he's a director whose work I'm not entirely familiar with since the only film of his that I saw is The Last Days of Disco.

Other than that, I will be catching up on some films I've missed in the past few years and such due to personal issues.  I will be having my Cannes Film Festival Marathon from May 11-May 22 around the time the festival is going on.  For anyone not familiar with the marathon that I've done in the past.  It's essentially a marathon that celebrates the films that played at the prestigious festival.  I will profile various films including a few Palme D'or winners and such.  Even as I will also do some expanded reviews on two films that I've previously reviewed at Epinions.com and will be moved here which are Steven Soderberg's Che and Lars von Trier's Antichrist in newly re-edited forms with notes about the theatrical experience of both films that I saw back in 2009.

With the upcoming release of the much-anticipated The Tree of Life by Terrence Malick.  I will present an essay for viewers who are unfamiliar with Malick's work and what to sort of expect from not just this upcoming film but all of his work.  It's not going to be another Auteurs essay as I plan to do one on Malick once his sixth film comes out.  It's rather a guide for the Malick-newbie.

With the recent release of the new trailer for Lars von Trier's Melancholia, I have to say that I am totally anticipating this film.  Being a big von Trier fan, it's definitely got a lot of the visual cues he has from Antichrist.  Yet, knowing that he's a prankster.  I'm wondering if there's a big joke von Trier is playing though I don't exactly believe he's bringing an unhappy ending since from the work that I've seen.  I know that von Trier never had a happy ending no matter what his view is.  

Other than what is going on with upcoming releases, I will definitely have reviews of Duncan Jones' Source Code and Joe Wright's Hanna while I'm on the fence about seeing David Gordon Green's Your Highness considering the bad reviews it's gotten.  I just don't want to experience watching another bad film and paying for it.  Sucker Punch was disappointing enough for me and I can't go through another one.

Well, that's it for now as I'm currently on the third act of my upcoming script project which I've entitled Ugly.  If anyone is interested in reading the project which hasn't gotten into screenplay form for the time being.  Please contact me through my email.

No comments: