Thursday, March 31, 2016

Films That I Saw: March 2016




Spring is here and of course, so is the pollen. I really hate spring more than any other season as the weather here in Georgia has been nuts as of late where it would be warm and then it would be cold again. It’s that climate change shit and I hate it. There’s just a lot of things right now that is just not making me very happy such as the political circus that is going around where it’s become a bunch of he said this and he said that kind of bullshit. No one really says anything with the exception of sorts in Bernie Sanders. Then there’s this big argument over Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice where fan boys get upset over if the film is good or is it bad. This is among the reasons why I haven’t seen it and will wait for it when it comes on HBO.

One world that I’m now thinking about completely disconnecting myself with for good is professional wrestling as what I‘m about to rant about will be ugly and not for everyone‘s ears and eyes and if anyone is offended, tough. While Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling are great alternatives, it is unfortunately overshadowed by the machine of the WWE as having to read many wrestling sites about this and that about the WWE and how bad it’s become has just added to my growing dreary mood as of late. With WrestleMania coming this weekend, it is clear that not many wrestling fans are excited about it and who can blame them? It’s not just the lack of strong build for these matches that are happening but it’s the fact that fans are becoming indifferent. I think this past Monday’s episode of Monday Night RAW was an example of that as it is clear about many things. Nothing has really changed for anyone to care at all as at the end of the day. It’s really what Vince McMahon wants and how he wants his fans to eat up his bullshit and like it.

I’ve known about that for quite a few years but that Monday, I couldn’t take it anymore. I’m getting tired of reading the same old shit and reading comments by morons about this and that. I’m in my mid-30s and I think it’s time for me to say “fuck it, I can’t do this anymore”. I’m not going to bother reading about WWE saying Roman Reigns is the guy and you should accept that. Why would I want to accept some Samoan fuck-head who can’t talk on the mic, can’t do matches for more than 30 minutes without being gassed up, not selling a serious hold as something dangerous like the Kimura lock, and calling his detractors “haters who just hate themselves?” You know what? Fuck him. The only reason he is in the spot that many have been working hard for is because he has a look that Vince has a hard-on for and believes could sell t-shirts and all sorts of bullshit while being the Rock’s cousin. As if that wasn’t enough to piss me off, why don’t we have that red-headed cum-dumpster who can’t learn to kick out of a fuckin’ pinfall be part of a pre-show ten-women tag team match so that she can get attention for some bullshit reality TV show?

I can’t do this anymore as I’m now seriously thinking of just deleting the wrestling blog that has been inactive for a long time as it’s just not fun anymore. I probably know that I’m not alone in my frustrations but I just can’t be optimistic as I know things aren’t going to be better when Vince finally fucking croaks. After all, CM Punk was right. Once he’s gone along with that buck-tooth bitch of his in Kevin Dunn and that racist old fuck in Michael “P.S.” Hayes are out of the picture. There’s still going to be problems as the WWE focus will still be on the McMahons as it’s likely that his son Shane might not stay very long as he’s making money somewhere else knowing that he had been driven out by his old man. The WWE still has to deal with Vince’s stupid cunt of a daughter in Stephanie and his dufus, egotistical son-in-law who only got over because of who his friends are while not putting someone like Sting over last year as he had to have the help of his friends including Shawn Michaels who should stay retired and not help his bitch get over instead of someone who needed the win more than that big-nose fuck.

Oh, let’s not forget the lies they create about those charities such as the Tribute to the Troops bullshit which is nothing more than a celebration of American Imperialist bullshit where good people die and serve their country for nothing along with that association with the Susan G. Komen Foundation in the research for breast cancer which anyone with a brain knows the foundation is a fucking scam. What about the anti-bullying campaign they created known as Be a Star? Who the fuck would take that shit seriously when it is from a company whose chairman is one of the biggest bullies in the world? This is kind of shit that is just fucking me up in the head and I want to get rid of it for good and probably will happen this weekend. I’m not watching WrestleMania and it’s been almost a year since I last watched RAW. If nothing big or surprising happens, then it’s all over and I’m fucking out for good.



In the month of March, I saw a total of 28 films in 17 first-timers and 11 re-watches. A bit more than last month but still a good haul as one of the highlights of the month that I saw was my Blind Spot assignment in News from Home. Here are the top 10 First-Timers for March 2016:

1. Les Rendez-vous d'Anna



2. Spring Breakers



3. Crumb



4. Knight of Cups



5. Watership Down



6. Hotel Monterey



7. John Wick



8. La Chambre



9. No Regrets for Our Youth



10. Pitch Perfect 2



Monthly Mini-Reviews:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Pt. 2



With the recent chaos of what is happening in DC Films over the polarizing reaction for Batman v. Superman, its animation department at least is able to make films that are actually decent and engaging. The second part of this film is about Bruce Wayne’s return to playing Batman where he faces down old foes but also gets in trouble with Gotham’s new police commissioner while Superman is also trying to stop him. It’s a film that features a fight between the two superheroes where it has a very powerful outcome as it relates to what is at stake and more.

The Fall of the Shah



The BBC has always made interesting documentaries as someone like myself who is into history has always been fascinated about a lot of things such as the Iranian Revolution. Seen on YouTube, the documentary about the rise and fall of Mohammed Reza Shah Pahlavi who is an interesting figure but also a man that was very polarizing. While there are a few including his wife that tried to defend the man for his actions and intentions for the country. It also revealed exactly what led to the Iranian Revolution of 1979 and Ayatollah Khomeini’s return from exile as it is a look into a man that tried to make Iran be like a superpower only to break away from its roots and traditions in favor of excess and decadence that led to his own exile. It’s a fascinating documentary that many with an interest in history should watch as it says a lot into why Iran’s relationship with America has become very icy and not likely to change.

Top 10 Re-Watches:

1. The Big Lebowski



2. Carlito's Way



3. Guardians of the Galaxy



4. Raising Arizona



5. The Birdcage



6. Up in the Air



7. Bad Santa



8. Spy



9. Soapdish



10. Club Paradise



Well, that is all for March 2016 as I would also like to post a new monthly piece on what new music I’ve been listening to. Aside from such new releases as Captain America: Civil War, I also hope to review other new releases like Everybody Wants Some, The Boss, and Midnight Special along with films by Spike Jonze and Rahmin Bahrani in conjunction with their upcoming Auteurs pieces on them as well as the films I hope to see from this list. Before I go, I want to post a little video clip in honor of Ronnie Corbett who had just passed recently as there is no question that this man is one of the funniest men that ever lived as I will end the post with this clip:


© thevoid99 2016

2 comments:

ruth said...

Oh man, the allergies must be dreadful for you in Spring. Hang in there man! Well, I don’t really care for WWE but I know you’re a huge fan so it’s a bummer that people’s comments put you off that subject.

Oh I saw ‘Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Pt. 2’ a while back, it’s definitely eons better than ‘Batman V Superman.’ The fight between the two superheroes are wonderfully-rendered too. Oh I almost re-watched SPY this weekend but ended up seeing the super cheesy Daredevil movie from 2003 but I only saw it for the laughs.

thevoid99 said...

Right now, I'm reading coverage of WrestleMania 32 and it started off OK but things have gone downhill after that and I'm just waiting to see if a riot will actually happen.

Spring is my most hated-season. I can deal with summertime heat, I can deal with the cold winter, and I can deal with the messiness of autumn. Spring, I can't deal with very much.